Sign in to follow this  
CaptainArghh

Catanai Security Guide

Catanai Security Guide

In this guide I will be teaching you how to achieve maximum security. With some simple steps, you can avoid anyone unwanted gaining access to your account.

Step 1: Password

Spoiler

The first step is choosing a good password that no one will be able to guess. When creating your account, you are prompted with some guidelines on how to create a good password;

• 8 or more characters                                               
  • Mixture of letters and numbers
  • Mixture of upper and lowercase
  • Special characters
  • Non-dictionary words

5lUzJbo.png

Following these guidelines is essential for a strong password. It also tells you how strong your password is:

Ce3qwPB.png

p0RxKlj.png

KuCbZjJ.png

xBQjTyC.png

0e5EU2Z.png

You should always choose a password which is "Very Strong", and avoid "Very Weak", "Weak", "Fair" and "Strong". When you have a password that meets the points listed below, you are ready for step 2. 

• Makes use of the guidelines listed above
  • Is a "Very Strong" password

Step 2: Two Step Authenticator

Spoiler

Setting up Two Step Authenticator is both easy and the best way to secure your account. It uses an authenticator application which generates a code every 30 seconds, and every time you want to log on the account you have to enter this generated code. To activate the authenticator, hover over your name, and go to "Account Settings"

Vxsim24.png

Then go to "Account Security". It will then ask you for your password. Simply fill in the well-made and secure password you created earlier

vdQVHJl.png

You are now able to activate Google Authenticator. You will have to download the "Google Authenticator" application on your mobile device. Once that's done, click on "Enable".

7ohpUE1.png

This will open the set up which will guide you through how you add the authenticator.

PrvQ1tz.png

Open your Google Authenticator application, and press the "+" icon in the bottom right of the application. Choose the "Scan QR-code" option and scan the QR-code in the set up screen. (If this doesn't work, click the "Not able to scan the QR code?" option in the set up. This will open up a new screen with a key. Click the "+" icon like before but this time you choose the other option instead of "Scan QR-code". The account name is the email address used when creating your account, and the key is the key shown in the set up. It should be set as "timebased".

1uOmu9w.png

siMlSGV.png

You will now have a new account in your Google Authenticator application. To finish the Authenticator set up, enter the code generated by your application. Note: for the code to work, you need to add a space between the first 3 digits and the last three digits, as shown below.

CxHX5OB.png

To make sure its successfully activated, check if it says "enabled". If it does, then congratulations, your account is secure! You will now be asked to enter a code whenever you log onto your account.

UoivK6C.png

Step 3: Changing password on existing account

Spoiler

If you already have an account, and wish to change your password, simply go to your account settings, then "Password". Enter your current password, and the password you would like to change to.

BcZ81GX.png

Useful links:

Spoiler

KeePass keeps all your passwords secure, and can also generate hard-to-guess passwords for you.

https://keepass.info/

The Google Authenticator application can be downloaded here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.authenticator2

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Like 3

Very nice.

I recommend everybody to activate 2FA on their accounts, both here and on "real" RS.

On 10/10/2017 at 7:34 AM, CaptainArghh said:

Me thinking of a good password

giphy.gif

59 minutes ago, Eg1s said:

could you recommend me a good password?

Use Keepass and generate all your passwords at least 16char

Just now, CaptainArghh said:

Use GRC >:( 

"no"

KeePass does the exact same thing and allows you to save login information 

GRC is useless if you have nowhere to put it

Just now, Duck said:

"no"

As useless as your existence >:( 

Just now, Duck said:

"no"

Give me link and i'll add KeePass to thread instead of GRC >:( 

1 minute ago, CaptainArghh said:

Give me link and i'll add KeePass to thread instead of GRC >:( 

https://keepass.info/

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Duck said:

Use Keepass and generate all your passwords at least 16char

is "UnhackablePassword" a good password?

Just now, Eg1s said:

is "UnhackablePassword" a good password?

only if you put your birthdate after it

1 minute ago, Duck said:

only if you put your birthdate after it

woudln't the hackers know when i was born then?

Just now, Eg1s said:

woudln't the hackers know when i was born then?

Good point

maybe try your first pets name, that way you will never forget your security questions

1 minute ago, Duck said:

Good point

maybe try your first pets name, that way you will never forget your security questions

good thing my dog is named after a food - kebab. that way i will confuse hackers

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this